Black Cats Are Bewitchingly Beautiful
Celebrate sweet loving black cats for their wonderful loving personalities as Halloween approaches with these 10 Black Cat Facts. There is nothing to fear and and everything to love about these beautiful cats.
by Linda Hall, Cat Behavior Expert
As Halloween is fast approaching, images of black cats are everywhere. But those frightening depictions give our feline black beauties a bad reputation. Can you believe there are still people who think of black cats as evil!
The happy truth is, there are many benefits in being (and having) a black cat.
10 Black Cat Fun Facts Prove their Paw-someness
Here are just a few of the many reasons to embrace black cats and add one (or two) of them to your life.
- Hunting skills are a high priority to cats, and black cats have an advantage. Cats hunt at dusk and dawn in the dark, and that black fur makes them basically invisible to prey.
- A genetic mutation is responsible for that sleek, black fur. That same mutation also provides protection from some common feline diseases. Because of this, black cats are at less risk for many diseases and illnesses and may live longer.
- Black absorbs heat, so cuddling up with your black cat is great on a chilly night.
- Sailors believed that bringing a black cat on their voyage brought good luck. In fact, British Explorer Matthew Flinders is credited with mapping the coast of Australia, with his black cat, Trim.
- In Scotland and Ireland, a black cat at your door brings prosperity and blessings.
- In Japan, single women who live with black cats get more suitors and they are popular wedding gifts. (Rita says, I’m moving to Japan! LOL)
- Black cats look cleaner since their fur doesn’t show dirt and dust.
- The Egyptian Goddess,Bastet, is represented in the form of a black cat.
- In England and Ireland a black cat crossing your path will bring you GOOD luck!
- Black is slimming. Grab your black cat and take a photo for a slimming effect. 🙂
Now that you know these black cat facts…
Take a pass on those scary cat decorations this Halloween. Let’s stop spreading the idea that any cat could be evil. Instead, adopt a black cat and you will see what gifts they truly are.
Between us, Rita and I share our homes with six black beauties; Dexter, Inky, Bakka, Jet, Shadow and Soot. They are loving purr machines, and we can’t imagine our lives without them. 🐈⬛🖤
Tell us about the black kitties that live with you in the comment section below!